It's About Time...

2.11.04

Compulsive Politicking

Today is election day, as you know, and it's quiet in the office here. Aside from the interview I just gave for the HR Director, it's felt like the calm before the storm. My vote has already been cast (having done so two weeks ago in Florida via absentee ballot) and so I feel no trepidation about today.

At this point, I have already accepted that Bush might win the election, an effect, I am told, due in part to my "irresponsible" voting. And I have also accepted that Kerry may win the election. I am at peace with both outcomes of the race and would not have remembered today was The Day except that every newspaper is showcasing the fact.

The "fact" being that pollsters are expecting record numbers to show up and vote today, quite possibly the only consolation in Bush or Kerry being elected. Yes, I have resigned myself to be content with, "No matter what happens, at least people cared this time around." Regardless if you consider those people to be the wrong people, at least they were engaged. At least Democracy was the chosen medium. Whoever wins today, Democracy will not be the looser. And I will sleep soundly tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home