It's About Time...

6.7.05

A Little Courtesy, Please? It's All I Ask, Thanks.

I've waited the last two weeks for a call from the Partnership's HR department that never came. Well, a call came from the Dept., but not the call I was told to expect. This call delivered the news that they had filled the position for which I was told to expect an HR interview. I'm pissed, but not because I didn't get the position (they went with someone who actually had experience in the field, unlike me), but because my life was put on hold for two weeks by an organisation to whom I've given the last eight months of my life.

The second part of the phone call advised me of a position opening up out at Furnish a Future, a programme of the Partnership which distributes free furniture to formerly-homeless families and individuals. The position is the farthest place from where I want to be in the organisation (the closest point is in research and development), and, coincidentally, right back where I started 6 months ago when I was first turned down for the Executive Ass't position; that is to say, it's in administration. Well, I say SUCK TO THAT!

However, having perused both craigslist and idealist dot orgs earlier this afternoon, I know that non-profit sector jobs in my interest areas are few and far between. Sooooooo, I'm not exactly picky. And I can't afford to hold out any longer.

3 Comments:

  • At 7/7/05 11:17 , Blogger Lyzard said...

    That seems mighty inconsiderate to me.

    I'm sorry you didn't get the position.

    You're probably not interested, but at med.cornell.edu/jobs - there are lots of things under clerical. I know it's not what you want to be doing, but at the same time, the Admin. Aide II position starts at almost $40K and then you could better pay for your activism habit. :)

     
  • At 7/7/05 12:11 , Blogger Ruth said...

    Thanks for the link, Lyz. It has surely piqued my interest.

     
  • At 7/7/05 15:20 , Blogger Ruth said...

    I think I'm going to chalk it up to an oversight by HR. They did, afterall, have the courtesy to call me before announcing organisation-wide, albeit barely ten minutes after we got off the phone, that the position had been filled.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home