It's About Time...

17.11.04

Faithful Service

"You could do so much more than be my personal secretary," he says to me. You're right, I thought, the lump forming in my throat, my eyes blinking obsessively to keep the tears at bay.

"You made the decision impossible," he continues on, Difficult, but not impossible, I correct his sentence for him, bracing my arms against their decision.

"She just has more executive assistant and office management experience," he justifies his decision to me. I nod my head in affirmation; I knew that all along.

And so it is. I'm here until the 29th or 30th; I've volunteered my services to help the new girl takeover my position the first week she's here. I've been offered the letter of recommendation and encouraged to find better work elsewhere.

This isn't the voice of an embittered individual, I swear to you. I'm all for the Partnership having the best employees for the job. I'm not that person, but I don't take that personally either: I've done my best.

Now come the I'm sorry to hear... 's from co-workers who were hoping I would get the position. I'll face a barage of them in the coming days, but only when they ask for an update on the position; I'm not keen on going around telling folks that I didn't get the position. My plan is to exit as gracefully as possible, talking up the new candidate to the co-workers and helping make her transition as smooth as possible.

3 Comments:

  • At 17/11/04 13:34 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Don't worry too much eg. I have often found when leaving a job, whether being laid off or leaving on my own that it's yet another step forward in my life and onto other adventures. I have always met new people (sometimes good friends) and gained more experience once I left. Still, I am sorry to hear it but suspect you may end up in a better place eventually.

     
  • At 17/11/04 13:53 , Blogger anna j said...

    oh, honey...i'm sorry. :(

     
  • At 17/11/04 18:19 , Blogger Lyzard said...

    I'm sorry.

    Consider this an e-hug bigger than the keyboard can express.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home