It's About Time...

4.10.04

Joining the Morning Commute

This morning I strapped on a pair of pantyhose, tucked my dress shoes in my bag, piled on my walking shoes and clamoured out of my flat, headed for Manhattan. I got a job, I beamed, and I'm going to it right now.

The commute was easy as pie; I waited for the bus maybe 3 minutes and got off at the Woodside 7 station. I stood on the platform (and felt the air, the air, the air on my face) and waited 5 minutes for the 7 Express. After trying to push my way onto the train and folks REFUSING to move to the middle of the car to make room at the ends, the conducter closed the doors on me; I looked at him with a pathetic Uh, I'm standing in the doorway here look and he just shook his head. So I bitched up and stepped back. Other than that, the commute was quick and easy. The 28th St stop on the 9 line is RIGHT across the street from the PFTH office, though I didn't discover that until I wandered around a bit, trying to gather my bearings.

I found the office with a half hour to spare and had a bagel 'n coffee in Rosa's Cafe across the street; bagel and a coffee- $2.45. I discovered the main office entrance under the scaffolding (7th Ave side) and was a good ten minutes early, eager to make a positive impression with my (potential) employers/possible recommendation.

Stephanie Ray, human resources, greeted me showed me to my desk (an office with a view of the NYC skyline). I met Arnold Cohen, the president of the organisation- I am his personal secretary. Suh-weet.

I spent the whole morning trying to to figure out what the hell I was supposed to be doing (i.e. re-arranging my desk, digitalising Mr. Cohen's Rolodex, reading thoroughly the NY Times- maybe my job description was in there-, squeezing in some OHO time, crossing and uncrossing my legs, etc.), and once I gave up on that I went to lunch; pizza and a coke from Rosa's- $4.25.

What does it feel like to be an Employed New Yorker? Quite a bit like being an Unemployed New Yorker, only I have to sit up straight, wear pantyhose and be self-conscious. Can I complain about this job? Probably eventually, but not today.

Being a temp is cake. And for $13 an hour, it's better 'n the New York Cheese kind. And hey- it keeps me off the streets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home